Thursday, September 25, 2008


I made some chain plates today. I wanted to do something besides fiberglass and epoxy for a bit, so I figured I would make the sidestay chain plates. These hold the lines that stabilize the mast on the sides for the non-nautical. I had bought a 4 foot piece of 1/8 aluminum corner stock, and just cut them out. A little grinding, a little drilling and some filing to clean it up and there you go. They should be made of stainless steel for the most strength but these should hold up for a while, and working with aluminum is a lot easier than stainless steel.

I wasn't going to spend any time on things like this until after the hull was back together, because if that doesn't go like I plan, what's the point. But I figured these would be very useful to hold the topside when I go to lower it back down on the boat and I already had the metal so why not.

No comments: